Sunday, December 20, 2009

NBA rookie Jennings becomes latest Twitter victim




I recently wrote a blog/ column about the usage of social sites (facebook, twitter, myspace) by professional athletes, and how some of them get into uncalled for trouble for seemingly innocent post.




I think the blog that I wrote a month ago was mainly about Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard being fine an unreal amount of money for making an innocent remark about fouling out in a game earlier this year.


The latest victim of innocent post seems to be sensational Milwaukee Bucks point guard Brandon Jennings (Twitter name is YungBuck3), who was recently fined $7,500 by the NBA for posting his excitement of making it to the 500 mark (overall record) on his Twitter page.


It wasn't what B. Jennings said. Apparently it was the timing of it. According to the NBA's new social site policy (also known as the Shaq rule), NBA players can't tweet during games. That's defined as 45 minutes before a game starts until after athletes have finished talking to media like me concluding a game.


Jennings said, "You would've thought I said something bad. I mean, that was a big win for us (0ver Portland)."


Indeed... B.Jennings. That's the one problem I have with the NBA, and that's the rules it tries to implement and the fines that it levies on guys that slip up. I mean, really.










No comments:

Post a Comment